The Surprising Health Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings
Posted by LAKEVIEW DENTAL on Sep 7 2023, 04:42 AM
Did you know that a simple trip to the dentist could do wonders for your overall health? It's true! While we often associate dental cleanings with maintaining a bright smile and fresh breath, their benefits extend far beyond aesthetics. In fact, regular dental cleanings offer a surprising array of health advantages that go hand in hand with your pearly whites.
Benefits of Regular Dental Cleanings
Most people are familiar with the fact that regular dental cleanings can help to prevent cavities and gum disease. However, there are actually a number of other surprising health benefits that can be gained from having your teeth cleaned on a regular basis. Here are just a few of the ways in which regular dental cleanings can improve your overall health:
- Reduced Risk of Heart Disease – Studies have shown that there is a link between oral health and heart health. People with gum disease are at an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease, so keeping your gums healthy is important for protecting your heart. Regular dental cleanings can help to remove the bacteria that cause gum disease, reducing your risk of developing heart problems in the future.
- Improved Diabetes Control – Diabetes can cause a number of oral health problems, including an increased risk of gum disease and tooth loss. However, studies have shown that people with diabetes who have their teeth professionally cleaned on a regular basis have better blood sugar control than those who do not. This is likely due to the removal of bacteria from the mouth, which can lead to inflammation and contribute to poor blood sugar control.
- Reduced Risk of Certain Cancers – There is some evidence to suggest that regular dental cleanings may help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancer, including pancreatic cancer and esophageal cancer. This is thought to be due to the removal of harmful bacteria from the mouth, which could otherwise enter the bloodstream and contribute to
- Prevention of Tooth Decay and Cavity Formation – Tooth decay and cavity formation are two of the most common oral health problems faced by people of all ages. While cavities are often associated with poor oral hygiene, they can also be caused by other factors such as diet, medications, and medical conditions. Regular dental cleanings can help to remove plaque and tartar build-up from teeth, which can reduce the risk of tooth decay and cavity formation. In addition, regular dental cleanings can also help to identify any early signs of tooth decay or Cavity so that prompt treatment can be sought.
- Reduced Risk of Gum Disease – Recent studies have shown that people who have their teeth professionally cleaned on a regular basis have a reduced risk of developing gum disease. In addition, they also have a lower risk of developing other serious health problems, such as heart disease and stroke.
If you're interested in learning more, visit Lakeview Dental Clinic at 801 Milwaukee Dr., Coeur D'Alene, ID 83814, or call (208) 664-0884.